In Los Angeles, a survey of motorists who experienced an automated work zone information system found that 78 percent of respondents changed their route based on the information provided.
- TRAFFIC JAMMED alternating with SOUTH 5 AT RYE CANYON.
- SLOW TRAFFIC AHEAD alternating with PREPARE TO STOP.
- TRAFFIC JAMMED NEXT 2 MI alternating with EXPECT 5 MIN DELAY.
- TRAFFIC JAMMED AHEAD alternating with 126 FWY TO MAGIC MOUNTAIN.
- SOUTH 5 TRAFFIC JAMMED alternating with AUTOS USE NEXT EXIT.
- JAMMED TO MAGIC MOUNTAIN alternating with EXPECT 10 MIN DELAY.
- JAMMED TO MAGIC MOUNTAIN alternating with EXPECT 15 MIN DELAY.
- TRAFFIC JAMMED TO MAGIC MTN alternating with AVOID DELAY USE NEXT EXIT.
- TRAFFIC JAMMED ROUTE 126 TO MAGIC MTN.
- SOUTH 5 ALTERNATE ROUTE alternating with AUTOS USE NEXT 2 EXITS.
To assess customer satisfaction, a postcard-based survey was designed to obtain driver comments on the work zone information system. At two off-ramps, Caltrans staff and California Highway Patrol officers distributed approximately 400 surveys to drivers on July 6, 2003. One hundred (100) completed surveys were received. The survey response rate was 25 percent. Survey results indicated that most respondents liked the system. Seventy-eight (78) percent of respondents changed their route based on DMS information. Seventy (70) percent of respondents thought that the DMS were useful for providing information. Sixty-three (63) percent felt that the messages were useful for providing alternative routes. Fifty-three (53) percent of respondents thought that messages were useful for avoiding delay.
Evaluation of Effectiveness of Automated Workzone Information Systems
Author: L., H. Kim, Y. Chung, and W. Recker
Published By: Transportation Research Board
Source Date: 2005
Other Reference Number: TRR 1911
Average User Rating
Typical Deployment Locations
Dynamic Message Signs, CMS, VMS, Changeable Message Signs, Variable Message Signs, construction warning signs, Portable Dynamic Message Signs, portable CMS, portable VMS, portable Changeable Message Signs, portable Variable Message Signs, Temporary Dynamic Message Signs, Temporary CMS, Temporary VMS, Temporary Changeable Message Signs, Temporary Variable Message Signs, smart work zone systems, smart work zone, smart work zones, Smart work zones, workzone, WZ